Thursday, July 19, 2012

I'm Neon in a Sea of Black

This morning I attended an awards breakfast filled with numerous Chicago companies that talked about how their corporate cultures have led to enhanced employee engagement. As a panel of representatives from these companies rattled off how their companies retain key leaders, I could help but question: shouldn't this be the norm?

I knew I would quite possibly be battling this question alone by the sheer looks of the event. In a sea of black suits (with maybe a pop of color here and there), I waltz in with a neon yellow dress and an aqua blazer.

I feel like not enough companies do their part in fostering a fun, collaborative work environment for their workplace. But hey, maybe that's why I gravitate toward startups! At the end of the day, I know my personality doesn't align with what most of corporate America represents, but to others, it's what they live and breathe. Like they say, different strokes for different folks.

I'm just glad I don't have to pretend anymore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment