Thursday, October 25, 2012

You Know You're in the Sticks of Australia when...

...you're lying by the pool at a holiday resort and the office attendant casually mentions, "Watch out for the brown snakes while you're lying there in the sun."

For those of you (like me) that have no idea how serious a brown snake is, let me fill you in. If you're bitten, you have to get to the hospital and get the venom out or you're dead in 20 minutes. Lovely. It's the second most deadly land snake in the world.

That being said, I spent yesterday afternoon lying by the pool in fear that every tickle was the slithering of a brown snake across my skin.

New goal: lose my paranoia of all things obnoxious, deadly, and poisonous in Australia.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I saw my first jellyfish yesterday, too. It was huge and blue in color. I heard the sting is "uncomfortable, but not deadly." After this explanation, some locals invited me in the water for a swim. No thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment